Because no one should go to bed hungry, CalFresh is here to help. CalFresh benefits help stretch food budgets. If you have limited income and are a parent, single adult, senior or anyone else who is struggling financially, CalFresh can help lower your grocery expenses, allow you to afford a greater variety of healthy foods and make you feel more secure about feeding your family.
Cal us today at 805-436-4000 to make an appointment to meet with a CalFresh counselor.
You will need to bring the following documents to your appointment:
• Proof of identification
• Social security numbers
• Proof of immigration status (if not a U.S. citizen)
• Proof of income for the past 30 days (if employed)
• Proof of expenses (including rent receipts, mortgage payments, and/or utility
WHAT TO EXPECT:
One of our counselors will help you complete and submit your CalFresh application to the Ventura County Human Services Agency. A county eligibility worker will then schedule a telephone interview to help you through the final steps of the application process.
• CalFresh monthly benefit amounts are determined based on your household's
income, expenses and size.
• CalFresh benefits are issued to you on an electronic benefit transfer (EBT) card that
you use like a bank debit card at most grocery stores and some area farmer's
• Using CalFresh benefits will lower your grocery expenses, freeing up more of your
income for other necessities.
• If eligible, CalFresh benefits will begin within 30 days; emergency benefits may be
issued within three days under certain circumstances.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
How much will I receive in CalFresh benefits?
The dollar amount that your household receives is determined by your household's income, expenses and size. A houshold may consist of: an individual; a family; or a group of people who live together and purchase, prepare and eat food together.
When will I start to receive CalFresh benefits?
If eligible, you will receive your benefits within 30 days. You may get emergency CalFresh benefits within three days if you earn less than $150 in the month that you apply and have less than $100 in cash.
Who can receive CalFresh benefits?
CalFresh is for people with low incomes, including:
• Children and adults born in the U.S.
• Some legal immigrants
• Those who earn wages from a job or who recieve unemployment or disability
• Some college students
• Seniors ages 60 and older
Is everything I've heard about CalFresh true?
Some of what you've heard about CalFresh may not be true. These statements about CalFresh are FALSE :
• You must have children to receive CalFresh benefits - FALSE
• If you receive CalFresh benefits, you are ineligible for other food assistance
programs - FALSE
• If you receive CalFresh benefits as a legal immigrant, you must repay them upon
becoming a U.S. citizen - FALSE
• You must go to a govenment office to apply for CalFresh benefits and again to
continue receiving them - FALSE